Let Me Introduce Myself (just for fun)

My name is Rich Thornton. I am pleased to have this opportunity to speak to you today on a very important subject. But before I do that let me introduce myself so that you may decide whether to consider what I say on this very important topic to be potentially life-changing or just a presentation in an air-conditioned room with free snacks and drinks before you head out to the beach for s’mores and more.

Who am I?

Why am I here? 

What in the world am I doing using Comic Neue font?


The answers to these intriguing questions lie ahead, perhaps. 


My full name is Richard Frederick Thornton. My last name is from my father, my middle name is from my mother’s father, and my first name was that of someone I ran into once in a campground when I was an adult and he told me that I was named after him. My father, when confronted agreed that was the case so evidently I was named after a friend of the family at some point and my parents liked the name Richard which is the story I’m going with, mostly.


The meaning of the name Richard comes from “Ric” which means ruler, leader, king, and powerful, and “hard” which means strong, brave, and hardy. So Richard means “strong ruler.”


Frederick comes from “Frid” which means peace and again “ric” which means ruler, leader, king, and powerful. Thus Frederick means “peaceful ruler.” 


This would help me to conclude that I am a strong, peaceful, ruler but please don’t feel obligated to curtsy or bow in my presence. Let’s dwell on the peaceful part of my being a powerful ruler. Let’s just all consider ourselves equals. We can still be friends even if you don’t enjoy Comic Neue font.


Trying to move on to my main topic but I feel compelled to share that who I am is someone who loves people and sometimes even likes them. Actually, I like people very much and tend to see the good in them and often leave out the negatives that are there. That is an overstatement because often it isn’t that I leave out the negatives it is, instead, that I don’t even see them. It’s as if my mind and heart vaporize the negative. So after you and I have met and I tell someone only good things about you don’t let it go to your head.


Why am I here today? Why have I been chosen to speak on this auspicious occasion when you probably think that you yourself would have been a much better choice? If not you then at least ten or so of the other people who have come to this conference as attendees but would be crackerjack presenters. I’m not disagreeing other than pointing out that having studied extensively on finding a toy in a box of caramel-coated popcorn and peanuts does not necessarily make one a perfect choice on the topic of the day. Not that you won’t find them on the table in front of you as as an ode to snacks, not to be confused with an ode to a Grecian urn which is powerful in its own way, and perhaps peaceful, in its own poetic way and in the way of a music man adventure also. 


Which leads me to why I am here in front of you today? I am here because I am a perfect example of one who wanted to write for many years but spent decades just talking about writing instead of every day sitting down, or standing up, and writing. 


It’s not that I haven’t done anything with my life. I have. Music has been a big part of my life both performing and writing. Helping others to discover true love has been a passion of mine, which of course makes sense to be passionate if you are going to help someone find true love.


In the 1980’s I ran for United States Congress because I saw myself making a difference in statesmanship and politics but even though I was victorious in the primary, thank you for letting me pause a moment and savor that victory, I was in second place in the general election. That is much preferred than saying I was the loser but such was the case. I thought I would get back to it later in life but other matters came along which were wonderful and so my days in politics came and went.


I see my time is speeding along and so I must move on to the topic of the day which is why you flew from locations around the world to hear me today. Because of this time crunch, I will not be able to fully explain my use of Comic Neue font. Still, I know that since you are hearing this either in person or as a Fred Talk later the font does not really come into play. So let me just urge you to pre-order my book on this topic if for no other reason than to be captured by the effectiveness of this font choice.


If you would please, give your attention now to the short video that introduces my talk even better, if it is possible than the introduction you have just experienced.  


(This was something I wrote just for fun as a writing exercise.)

Comments