Crossroads


This is what the Lord says:
   "Stop at the crossroads and look around.
     Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it.
   Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls."
                                                 (Jeremiah 16a, NLT)

God invites us to stop at the crossroads and look around.  There have been many crossroads in my life.  Times when I had a choice to make.  Would I do the right thing, the hard thing, the thing that was difficult...or would I go my own way?  A choice of my way or the old, godly way.  Would I ask for the true way, the old, godly way, or I would I kid myself that I could just do what I wanted.  I was going to walk from this crossroads in one direction or another.  My soul cried out to walk in the old, godly way...the way of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob...Lester, Louise, and Mary...

I want to travel the path of the old, godly way, to find rest for my soul.

Oh how I wish the scripture ended there, that there was no part "b" for this encouragement to follow the right path.

But there is a part b.  The scripture continues,

   But you reply, "No, that's not the road we want!"

You have to give them credit.  At least they were honest and said outright that they didn't want that road, the old, godly way.  Then didn't beat around the bush or say one thing and do another.  They straightforwardly took the ungodly way.   

And then God said:  
   I posted watchmen over you who said,"Listen for the sound of the alarm."
   But you replied,"No! We won't pay attention!"

Like a child who doesn't want to hear what they have to do and just puts his hands over his ears, or in front of his eyes and goes blindly on.  "No, I want my way...I won't listen to you!"

And that path doesn't end well.  Not well at all.

So I have my choice once again as I stand at this crossroads.  And I know I can't even make the right choice let alone walk down the right path if God doesn't lead me.  If God doesn't help me up I will lay fallen on the path.  

But I choose to ask for the old, godly way.  I choose to walk in it, God help me. I must travel its path because it is the only way to find rest for my soul.
   

Comments