During this last month I have been in rehearsal for "The Music Man." It's a fun musical first written in the 1950's and performed and then put out as a movie in the early 1960's. You probably have heard about it even if you haven't seen it. It's about an Iowa town where a traveling salesman goes to start a boy's band. No, not the Backstreet Boys, this band was in 1912. But he is a con artist who just sells people band uniforms and instruments and then heads out of town without there really being a band.

But this Professor Harold Hill didn't count on falling for Marion, the librarian. Life changes and so do motives when one falls in love.

Our lives change when we fall in love, when we care for someone besides ourselves...

But anyway, I got into this musical because I enjoy the creative community and I hoped to be in it with my two talented daughters. Fortunately, we all got through the auditions and now are spending a lot of time rehearsing to be ready for the performances at the Pullo Center.

DreamWrights Youth and Family Theatre is producing this musical on July 25 and 26. I am learning a lot about music, drama, directing, people, and so much more. This is like a summer seminar for me as well as a great memory to build with my daughters.

Here's a clip to remind you of what the show is about. I actually get to be in this barbershop style quartet. The low bass...the first "Ice Cream." And the guys are a lot of fun to sing with.

Comments