It's the Tuesday before Easter and this morning I read some more in "The Journey, our quest for faith and meaning" by Os Guinness. It is a collection of writings by some prominent authors down through the centuries. "The Journey" is divided into 4 sections: a time for questions, a time for answers, a time for evidences, and a time for commitment.

In the first section, a time for questions, Abraham Heschel was quoted as saying, "It is not enough for me to be able to say 'I am': I want to know who I am and in relation to whom I live. It is not enough for me to ask questions; I want to know how to answer the one question that seems to encompass everything I face: What am I here for?"

Just last week I finished reading (for the second time) "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. It is a very good book about answering this very question, What on earth am I here for? Pastor Warren gives us the answer--to live out the 5 purposes for our lives as God intended.

Meanwhile, during the last month I went to see the movie, "The Passion of the Christ." I debated about going because I knew it was going to be very violent and bloody. But I decided I needed to go and I'm glad I did. It was horrible to see Jesus suffer for my sins up on the screen and know that it was even worse than pictured. To be reminded that Christ died for the sins of the whole world in such graphic fashion was very emotional. I had lots to "think" about later but at the time it was the emotion of it all that consumed me.

I left the film glad I had gone. I have heard some people say that everyone should see it. I don't agree. I know many people that the violence would lead to nightmares and it would be too hard on them. But for those who can handle the horror of it all go and see it. It is well done and the message of Jesus dying for all of us shines through.

In "The Journey," part two is "a time for answers." It begins "The second stage in the quest for meaning is when we actively seek answers to the specific questions and crises raised at the first stage [a time for questions]--and are drawn toward the one we believe is the answer. In other words, we consider the available guides and maps and choose the one best suited to where we are and where we wish to go."

Books like this and "The Purpose Driven Life" and a movie like the "Passion" help me choose the "map" of a relationship with Jesus as the best guide through life.

Comments